The Omega Station in Ha'ikū Valley today
Photograph by Cody Murphy
The Naval Radio Station (as it was then known) after a fire circa 1943
The VLF Alexanderson Alternator was originally housed in the Naval Radio Station transmitter building. When NHS Haiku was decommissioned the Alternator was carefully dismantled and shipped back to Massachusetts where it was eventually sold for scrap.
Community groups, including the Friends of Haʻikū Stairs, hope one day to turn the Station (now referred to as the Omega Station) into a museum and cultural center
Historical images on this page courtesy of Dave Jessup
The Naval Radio Station